ERROR importing AVCHD H.264 files on Windows
I have a problem that is preventing my students from moving forward with their work, and I am STUMPED as to what the issue is. Computers are all the same, Windows 7, 64bit Enterprise (Octo-Core Xeon 3ghz with 11GB of RAM). CC is installed with the the CCP Enterprise installation tool, and all apps have been updated via Adobe Updater to the latest revs, Premiere happens to be at 7.2.1(4).
All our digital cameras are Sony’s that shoot to AVCHD H.264 (I have provided a profile of a sample clip, below).
Video ingests into Prelude when the material is simply copied from the SD card to a local drive. However, when we attempt to send the video to Premiere Pro, the files all come up as OFFLINE (question mark icon). When I attempt to import the file manually, the following error is received "The file has an unsupported compression type.".
The next thought was to attempt to transcode the files to another codec (in this case, I used DNxHD as a test). When the files are sent from Prelude to Media Encoder, the same error occurs (Media Coder is unable to determine the compression type) and all transcodes fail. As an aside, After Effects is also unable to import the same media.
This has happened now on numerous computers, and (obviously?) seems to be related to a lack of installation or support of AVCHD/H.264 compression. What’s odd is that students have been using these cameras and compression types all year, so I am guessing a recent update killed support?
If anyone could offer any help/ideas/support/thoughts it would be GREATLY appreciated!
ID : 0 (0x0)
Complete name : /Users/sethchambers/Desktop/Ronnie Beirschmidt/Source/2014-04-23_08-24-22/AVCHD/BDMV/STREAM/00002.MTS
Format : BDAV
Format/Info : Blu-ray Video
File size : 16.4 MiB
Duration : 12s 962ms
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 10.6 Mbps
Maximum Overall bit rate : 18.0 Mbps
ID : 4113 (0x1011)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
Format settings, GOP : M=2, N=15
Codec ID : 27
Duration : 12s 946ms
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 9 917 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 16.0 Mbps
Width : 1 440 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan order : Top Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.213
Stream size : 15.3 MiB (93%)
ID : 4352 (0x1100)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : 129
Duration : 13s 24ms
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 256 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 407 KiB (2%)
ID : 4608 (0x1200)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : PGS
OK, I am flummoxed. I just worked with out IT guy for about 40 minutes trying to narrow down the issue. So far, NOTHING is reliably reproducing the issue. Here's what we've done so far...
1) Deleted all local user profiles except for admins, then deleted all registry keys relating to those profiles.
2) Students log in and a new profile is created, we then opened up their existing Premiere Pro project files. Problem still presents itself.
3) We create a new Premiere Pro project and attempt to import the material from the copy on the local hard drive (not the original SD card). Problem still presents itself.
4) We open a new Prelude project to import footage again directly from the SD card again, and Prelude is able to "see" the footage that is copied over to a new folder on the local hard drive (no transcoding). This is promising, so we open up Premiere Pro, and only 4 of 15 files are viewable (the others present the same error that no supported compression type is available).
5) I try reimporting some of the 11 files that don't work again through Prelude, and this time they work! I note that the video files that DO WORK were imported into a folder that DOES NOT have a space in its name. However, the folder that DOES NOT work DOES have a space in its name. I think I am onto something. So...
6) I have the same student log into a DIFFERENT COMPUTER and we import the SAME FILES into Prelude and create a sub-folder that HAS A SPACE IN IT like the other computer has (we are trying to replicate the problem). And... It works just fine. We can see the files in a folder with a space in its name. So...
7) At this point, I am attempting to reinstall the Adobe CC suite on the affected computer, and we will see if that solves the problem. Fingers crossed...